Today, vacation rentals are more accessible than ever – hallelujah for the internet age! Yet, despite the above-average amenities and value offered by vacation rentals, first time renters often have cold feet about staying at someone’s personal property: even though the reservation process is as easy as booking a hotel, staying at a rental property is a paradigm shift away from name brand hotel rooms.
So, we’re here to walk travelers through the rental process. With our Guide To Renting A Vacation Home, you can say goodbye to uncertainties and hello to a new way to holiday!
Intuitively, a cookie-cutter hotel room doesn’t exactly sound like a dream vacation: claustrophobic square footage, minibar snacks that cost and arm and a leg, and a picturesque view of a parking lot. Yet, hotel accommodation is something to which we have grown curiously accustomed, settling into a silly status quo.
Vacation rentals enter stage left: who wouldn’t prefer a one-of-a-kind accommodation option that offers above-average amenities and on average 5X more square footage for half the price of a hotel room?
Step 1: Start the Search
As Canada’s largest vacation rental site, CanadaStays.com puts over 15,000 vacation rentals at your fingertips, while our advanced search allows you to specify property preferences so you can narrow in on those that are perfect for you! In addition CanadaStays.com and the other Holiday Rentals Network sites offer dedicated customer service and security protections not offered by free classified sites such as Kijiji and Craigslist. So, you’ve come to the right place to find your piece of paradise!
- Where do you want to travel? (Or, use our Driving Distance Calculator to find a destination)
- What are your travel dates (do you have exact dates or are dates flexible?)
- Select number of bedrooms/number of guests
- Choose desired amenities, e.g. wireless internet, hot tub/ sauna, pet-friendly, parking spot, wheelchair accessible, etc.
Step 2: Window Shop
- Most destinations have a range of rentals, from rustic cabins in a woodland setting to estates in the lap of lakefront luxury. Look around at what’s out there and compare and contrast!
- Look for listings that include several good quality photos and a detailed description of the property, its location, features, and amenities
- Save your Favorites so you can find them again when it comes time to book
- If you’re planning to travel with other guests, you can easily share properties of interest via email or social networks and get feedback from fellow travelers
Step 3: Send Out Inquiries
- Send inquiries to property owners to open up communication and take the guesswork out of booking! Be open about your questions, concerns and expectations and look for the same level of transparency from the property owner (See: Examples of Questions to Ask Property Owners)
- Confirm availability of desired dates
- It’s a good idea to inquire on several rentals at first
- If you do not receive a response within 48 hours you may wish to follow up or move on to another property
Step 4: Book It
- Before you book, make sure you’re clear on the nitty-gritty details such as cancellation policy, pet policy, check-in and check-out, and other possible fees
- Sign rental agreement
- Make your reservation online using Book It, our secure booking and payment system, and pay with Credit Card or PayPal
Step 5: Happy Travels!
- Enjoy your one of a kind vacation!
- Upon your return, write a review of the property on its listing page – other traveler’s will appreciate your insight and the property owner will appreciate your feedback
- Check out our other sites ChaletCountry.com, BedandBreakfastCountry.com and CondoCountry.com for your next vacations!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I know if I can trust a property owner?
- How do I contact a property owner to get more info about a property?
- How does payment work?
- What are red flags regarding rental scams?
- How does CanadaStays.com protect users from scams?
- How do I know if a property is available on the dates that I want?
- Can I make changes to a reservation?
- Click here to browse all Frequently Asked Questions…