Flowers are blooming. The trees have started to bud. Finally, the weather is getting warmer. Spring has arrived – it’s time to come out of hibernation and explore the new landscape. A weekend getaway is the perfect way to enjoy the new season. Check out one of the top 10 weekend escape destinations from Toronto:
1. The Niagara Falls area is always a great option. In addition to the waterfalls, there are wineries, trails and plenty of places to eat. Entertainment includes gambling, shopping and shows – plenty to do over a weekend.
2. Bruce Peninsula National Park is the perfect place to escape city life. Visitors can look over the cliff edges into Georgian Bay or watch black bears in the forest. Walk the Bruce Trail and climb the boulders of Halfway Log Dump.
3. Explore Montreal’s Old Quarter, where buildings date back to the 18th century. Stop for a café and croissant, or grab a poutine. Immerse yourself in architecture and history.
4. A 4-hour drive will take you to Ottawa where you can see Parliament Hill, the Rideau Canal and plenty of museums and art galleries.
5. Prince Edward County has over 40 breweries and wineries, plenty of stops to keep you going for a weekend.
6. Rouge River turns into a rainbow trout heaven in spring. Anglers can spend the weekend trying to catch ‘the big one’.
7. The Elora Gorge Conservation Area is filled with high cliffs, scenic overlooks and a raging river – perfect for outdoor enthusiasts.
8. Algonquin Provincial Park is the place to immerse yourself in nature – spot wildlife and take in the fantastic scenery.
9. Spend the weekend treasure hunting for antiques in Port Hope.
10. Explore Windsor’s past as a rum-running town and a portal to the Underground Railroad.