Autumn is finally here! Summer is a beautiful season, but there’s something delicious about fall. Is it the colourful leaves? The smell of cinnamon and pumpkin spice? The return to routine? Whatever it is, we definitely love it! Along with the changing colors come many opportunities for family fun. What are you planning for your family this year? Check out our list of the top ten fall family activities for some inspiration!
1. Harvesting Produce. Fall’s food offerings are profuse, so take advantage of the season and get the best of the best! Of course, there’s no better way to get produce than to pick it yourself. Take your family to pick apples, pumpkins, corn, and more!
2. Visit a Sunflower Farm. Maple leaves may get the most attention in the fall, but sunflowers are just at gorgeous. Fall is sunflower season, so go get an eyeful! You can visit a sunflower farm to see endless rows of yellow blooms waving gently in the wind.
3. Have a Harvest Party. Even though you might be far away for Thanksgiving, you can still have a good time with friends at home on any other day! Let your kids help you plan and execute a harvest party for your friends and neighbours.
4. Take Your Christmas Photo. Fall fashions and colourful leaves make for awesome family photos. Get your Christmas photo out of the way so that you won’t have so much to do once the holiday season rolls around!
5. Make Fall Crafts. Even the most unenthusiastic of preteens will be willing to do a family craft if it involves emojis. Scroll through Pinterest to find fun craft ideas that will appeal to your family! If that means carving a winking emoji into a pumpkin… so be it.
6. Collect Pinecones. You can combine this activity with the one above, or let your pinecones stand alone! These make awesome natural decorations for your porch or your home.
7. Make Halloween Costumes. Why spend a ton of money on costumes if you can make them? Go to the thrift store and let your kids pick out their own outfits, then take them home and jazz them up!
8. Make a Scarecrow. Some old clothes and a bag of fluff can be transformed into an adorable –and potentially useful – fall decoration! Have fun designing your new fall friend together.
9. Go to a High School Football Game. Support your local high school by patronizing a game! School games can be just as much fun as pro games, and you can enjoy them in your very own neighbourhood.
10. Rent a Cabin. Spend a weekend away from the routine with a trip to the mountains! You’ll get to enjoy the fall colours in all their glory, and you can do fun outdoor activities before the first snowfall brings your kids inside. Head to the CanadaStays website to find a rental cottage anywhere in Canada! Make sure to check our top five fall getaways in Canada.