Looking for a getaway from Toronto? Look no further—consider this your ultimate Ontario road trip guide. From nature escapes to city breaks, here are the best places for Torontonians to go this spring.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake. Niagara Falls seems to be the most obvious Toronto getaway, but if you’ve been in the area for a while, it probably seems tired out and too crowded. Why not opt for Niagara-on-the-Lake instead? This beautiful vacation village is an ideal place to get away in the Niagara region. You can enjoy the beautiful lake views in the mornings, then spend your afternoons walking the picturesque downtown streets. As a plus, Niagara-on-the-Lake is close to the many excellent wineries in the region.
- Blue Mountain. This lovely ski village is about seven hours from Toronto, but every minute of the drive will be worth it when you arrive on the beautiful slopes of Blue Mountain. This is most famous for its ski opportunities, but it is a wonderful place to visit at any time of year. Hit the trails to see the stunning mountain scenery, or stay downtown to explore fun attractions within the village. Kids will love pottery painting and exploring the candy store, while adults will enjoy a vibrant nightlife and fine dining.
- Prince Edward County. A trip to Prince Edward County is good for the soul. When life seems overwhelming, time spent at Sandbanks Beach is sure to bring everything back into balance. This island has the perfect combination of tourist attractions and rustic appeal! No matter what you love, you can find it here. Art lovers will enjoy the Arts Trail, which takes visitors through the best art studios and galleries in town. If you prefer quilting, take the similar Barn Quilts Trail. Let your kids learn about wildlife at the Black Walnut Teaching Gardens, or birdwatch at Bird House City. Finally, indulge your inner history buff at Canadian Forces Base Picton.
- Windsor. Admittedly, the city of Windsor isn’t a particularly exciting place. It does have a casino, a cute downtown area, and the typical city tourist attractions, but otherwise, it isn’t any more exciting than the next moderately-sized city. However, it is an excellent (and affordable) base for exploring surrounding attractions! Drive across Ambassador Bridge to explore Detroit, Michigan, or head to Point Pelee and Ojibway Nature Centre for a wilderness escape.
Browse vacation rentals in Windsor.
- Tobermory. Prepare yourself for utter beauty! Tobermory is an incredible nature destination. It’s just a four to five hours from Toronto, making it an easy drive for a week or long weekend trip. The Tobermory area boasts many attractions, including Bruce Peninsula National Park and Fathom Five National Marine Park. Have you always wanted to visit Flowerpot Island or try scuba diving? Make this your year!
Browse vacation rentals in Tobermory.
Torontonians are lucky to live close to so many wonderful destinations! Which destination is your style? Would you like to take a relaxing weekend on the lake, or spend a week hiking Tobermory? Or, do you prefer spending time on the city streets? Whatever you want to do this year, you will be able to find your perfect accommodations on the CanadaStays website. Browse through listings of apartments, lakeside cottages, and large family homes. Make this Ontario getaway your best yet!